A List of Must-Have Tools and Equipment for a Successful Pool Opening this Season
Despite all evidence to the contrary this year, spring is almost here. And proper spring weather means one thing: pool opening season is here. Is your pool ready to open? While you wait for the weather to clear, make sure you have the essential tools and equipment to make cleaning and opening pools easier in Ottawa’s spring weather.
Here’s a list of must-have supplies to make sure your bases are covered!
Filter Products and More
Your filter is an integral part of your pool. Make sure you’re ready to open your pool by running a check on your filter. Now’s the time to make a replacement, giving you time to iron out the kinks and maximize the time you get to spend enjoying your pool. For a DE (Diatomaceous Earth) pool filter, make sure you have enough DE powder to last through several backwashings. If the filter is dirty, rinse off the filter grids and soak in DE filter cleaner.
You should replace cartridge filters every three to five years. If you’re due for a replacement, make sure you make the swap right after opening your pool. That way, you get to enjoy cleaner water all summer.
Use a sand filter cleaner for – you guessed – sand filters. If your pool is a salt water system and you notice dropping salt levels in the pool water, it’s likely time to replace the salt cell.
Pool Opening Kits, Water Testing Kits, and Balancing Chemicals
Try grabbing a pool opening kit to cover all your bases in one go. These kits have everything you need to clean your pool water after a long winter. These kits include:
- Stain remover
If your pool is green from algae blooms, you should buy extra pool shock to effectively treat your pool. All the same, you’ve got to properly balance the chemicals in your pool water, so test the water and make adjustments accordingly.
Replace the chemical reagents in your test kit since they have a short shelf life. Outdated chemical reagents will lead to poor test readings. Poor readings could result in poor-quality water and more time spent cleaning your pool.
Aim to test and balance the water (pH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, etc.) with water balancing chemicals two days before opening.
Pool Vacuums & Accessories
A telescoping pool pole is a must-have for easy pool cleaning. You can attach cleaning equipment on the ends of these extendable poles, so you can clean your pool from the deck. For manual pool vacuuming, attaching a pool vacuum head to the pool pole. Then attach the vacuum hose to the vacuum cleaner and pool skimmer.
Alternatively, you can opt for automated pool cleaners that clean the pool floor and walls for you. These include suction, pressure, and low-voltage electric cleaners. Depending on the type of cleaner you have, make sure you have extra filters and bags for pool opening.
Other key accessories include:
- Skimmer Net & Leaf Rake – When attached to pool poles, skim nets are used to remove light debris from pool water. Leaf rakes are larger nets meant to collect heavier debris, and can also pick up toys from pool water.
- Pool Brush – You will need to brush your pool upon opening, and at least once a week throughout the pool season. The material of pool brush will depend on the type of pool you have. Vinyl liners need gentle brushes, while concrete and plaster can withstand harder brushes.
- Garden Hose – A garden hose will come in handy to hose off your pool cover, deck, and equipment, and fill up your pool during opening.
- Hand Tools – You will need a basic tool set to install pool equipment and tighten any loose screws.
- Teflon Lube & Tape – For water- and air-tight seals, apply Teflon lube to the O-rings on your filter basket gasket, pool filter tank, unions, and push-pull valves. Also, apply Teflon tape to threaded plugs, drain plugs, and pressure gauges.
Once you have these essential supplies, opening pools in Ottawa will be a breeze! Don’t wait until the last minute – stock up today to make the most of pool season when the weather finally warms up!